Native American Education

LCSD Title VI: Indian Education

Title VI Indian Education is a federally-funded program through the Lincoln County School District that has served Native students grades kindergarten through 12 since 1975. Students from tribes of Alaska and the U.S. are included (yes, there are Natives in Canada and Mexico but they aren’t covered by this program, with certain exceptions). In order to be served, parents need to fill out an Indian Education Enrollment Form for each of their Native children in school and submit it to their school. You only need to fill it out once for the student’s entire school career.

Indian Education Enrollment 506 form

Online Tribal Directory
National Congress of American Indians

Contact Information

Majalise Tolan
Secondary Teaching and Learning Administrator

Phone: 541-265-4410

Crystal Taylor
Coordinator and Specialist for Newport, Toledo & Waldport Schools

Phone: 541-265-9281, ex. 247

Tasha Rilatos
Specialist for Siletz, Eddyville and Lincoln City Schools

Phone: 541-444-1100

Scholarship Links

Everyone needs to fill out this: The FAFSA, an application for federal student aid, is the first step. Apply for a PIN ahead of time (student and parent both apply, get different numbers which will be linked. Write it down somewhere as you will use it all through college.) Submit it, using last year’s tax info if you must, as early in January as possible. Put in this year’s tax info later, once it’s completed.

FAFSA Website

Wide-ranging search sites and explanations of types of aid: On these sites, try searching for “Native American”, “American Indian”, “diversity” or “minority” to get scholarships that are more specifically aimed at Indian students.

Local/state scholarships:

Minority and Underrepresented Student Scholarships:

Tribal Higher Ed. Support: for any tribally based scholarships, the student needs to first fill out the FAFSA and submit it to the federal government. Students are well-advised to seek out whatever scholarships they qualify for in addition to tribal money, as there are always more expenses than will be covered. All tribally-based scholarships require that the student themselves be an enrolled tribal member.

  • Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma tribal members
    Generally, any tribal member applying who also qualifies for a PELL grant & who lives out of Oklahoma will get tribal support of $1,000 per semester for which the student must offer community service of 1 hour/$100 of aid.
  • Siletz tribal members
    The Tribe will cover, for an in-state public institution, tuition, fees, books & supplies or the unmet need, whichever is less, after the student has applied for federal and school aid.

Scholarships worth looking at:

Oregon colleges’ own financial aid:

Researching Indian Heritage

These are some helpful websites for researching Indian ancestry. They are all free.

Native American Education - Students at assembly