lincoln county school attendance laws
TRUANCY/COMPULSORY SCHOOL ATTENDANCE
STANDARDS FOR ATTENDANCE
All students shall adhere to standards of attendance as set forth in Oregon Revised Statutes wherein unexcused absences totaling eight one-half days in a 20-day (4-week) period shall be declared irregular attendance and cause for action under the district’s truancy procedures.
- Erratic Attendance (OAR 581-021-0071) Student is frequently absent to the degree that he/she is not benefiting from the educational program.
- Irregular Attendance – Eight unexcused one-half day absences in any four-week period during which school is in session shall be considered irregular attendance.
- Regular Attendance (OAR 581-021-0077 (e)) Attendance which does not include more than eight unexcused one-half day absences, or the equivalent thereof, in any four-week period in which the school is in session.
Student attendance is collected at the office during the first period of the school day. Parents are asked to report student absences to the school by telephone (336-2299) between 7:00 and 8:00 a.m. If contact is not made by telephone during an absence, a student must bring a note signed by the parent that describes the reason for the absence. As set by Oregon State Law & District Policy, excused absences are:
- illness or injury
- education/occupational interviews
- illness of student’s immediate family
- family emergency/travel
- religious instruction/service
- legal or court appointments
- medical/dental appointments
- activities as required by the school
Attendance Enforcement Procedures
- At 10 consecutive days of absence, truancy procedures must be initiated. Although students who are absent for 10 consecutive days (excused or unexcused) are by Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR) dropped from school rolls for state accounting purposes, this does not release them from the requirement to attend school. Upon return, these students may be required to re-enroll.
- Upon accumulation of eight unexcused one-half day absences in any 20-day (4-week) period, a letter of notification will be sent to parents.
- Document efforts of intervention to return student to school with regular attendance.
(a) Parent/Student conference.
(b) Telephone contacts with parent/student. (c) Assessment of factors contributing to irregular attendance (LBL ESD Referral form).
(d) Verify student’s individualized education plan (IEP) status.
(e) Identify any special arrangements or any special pertinent information.
All transportation changes during the school year should be communicated with the office staff in writing no later then 1:00 P.M. This includes going home with a friend, going to scouts, being picked up for an appointment, etc. Communication is key to keeping your child safe.
Attendance at school is an extremely important aspect of your child’s learning and school success. If she or he must be absent, please call the school at 541-336-5121 as early in the day as possible. Thank you.